The Good Farm: 1853 Farmhouse on 44 acres
Size –3 Bedrooms • 3 Bathrooms 3 Baths • Sleeps 7-9
Enjoy stunning views and disconnect from the hustle and bustle! The Good Farm (TGF) of Valpo allows you the peacefulness of the country without taking you too far from a variety of amazing attractions. Whether you just want to relax or prefer to tour nearby cities and towns, you can’t beat the location or amenities of TGF.
To avoid any confusion, potential guests should thoroughly read ALL information below before requesting to book. (We promise that the info below will better prepare you for your trip and answer 99% of your questions!)
The home is just under 2000 square feet and sleeps up to 10 people in the following areas:
-Master Bedroom on main floor: 2 people (California King bed: Zinus green tea mattress. Ceiling fan.)
-Guest Bedroom 1 on top floor: 4 people (Two sets of bunk beds: Zinus green tea twin mattresses. Oscillating fan.) Note: To those booking after April 2023, the two sets of bunk beds will be replaced with two queen beds, still sleeping 4 people on zinus greet tea mattresses, but in two queen beds instead of four twins.
-Guest Bedroom 2 on top floor: 1 baby and 2 people (Crib with organic Amish-made mattress, and full size floor mattress.)
-Fold down futon in finished basement: 2 people (Full bed.)
Note: For those concerned about skin sensitivity and/or allergies, we wash all linens/towels in gentle baby (Puracy) detergent. Extra blankets and quilts are available in the storage trunk coffee table (in the living room).
There are three full bathrooms available for use:
1. The main floor bathroom (off of the kitchen) with single vanity and rain shower.
2. The master bathroom (attached to master bedroom) which includes a double vanity and double rain shower heads.
3. The upstairs bathroom with tall, double vanity and bathtub/rain shower; shared by two bedrooms.
A tankless water heater ensures hot water on demand.
Each bathroom is equipped with fresh towels, rags, shampoo, conditioner, soap, and a hair dryer.
The main kitchen includes a farmhouse sink, quartz counter tops, a large peninsula with barstool seating for 3, a kitchen table and 6 chairs, fridge and freezer, gas antique style stove/oven, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, coffee maker, and Vitamix blender. Dishware is available, and you are welcome to use any of our spices and/or cooking oils. Provided the chickens lay eggs while you are here, we’ll deliver you a basket of fresh eggs in the morning so you can use them to make omelettes. ;)
An office nook is available for work; guests would simply need to bring their own computer to plug in. WiFi is provided.
In the back red pole barn, there is a gym where you’re welcome to use any of the equipment available. (Please note that this is a shared space, so you may see us or other renters from the Barn Apartment using the gym.) The gym is equipped with an exercise bike, treadmill, elliptical, full body pulley machine, pec deck machine, bench press, weights, yoga mats, resistance bands, and a small trampoline. A smart TV is available in the gym as well. All items are use at your own risk; kids must be supervised/accompanied by an adult and are not permitted to use gym equipment. We do have monthly cleanings of the gym but ask that you clean any individual equipment after each use. (Spray and rags provided.)
--When we moved into the farm, we purposefully didn’t hook up TVs. We noticed our kids went outside even on rainy days and we loved not hearing the constant buzz of the mainstream media during Covid-19. Because of this, we decided that our lives were much simpler/happier without them. In true farm fashion, there’s too much to be done and seen to waste our time in front of a television. We hope you also choose to enjoy the outdoors, and use your time here to disconnect and recharge.
--Wifi is provided...So if you’re a TV junkie and can’t survive without it, you can still stream to your phone. ;)
--Central Heat and AC are controlled by you through Nest thermostats. (Three zones for three different areas of the house.)
--Three Smart Home Devices are also in the house with instructions on how to use them. The devices can play music, find local attractions, check the weather, etc. Guests who do not want to utilize the devices can simply turn them off.
--A washer/dryer is available for your use in the basement.
The gravel driveway can fit up to one car per guest. (10 cars total.)
There are three covered porches to enjoy. (Front, back, and one off the master suite.) We also have two outdoor iron patio tables (each with 4 iron chairs), copper fire pit, and 10 plastic Adirondack chairs for your use. Firewood is provided for those who wish to light a fire (behind the pole barn). A back porch swing allows views of the garden, barns, and pond. The front porch has a rocking chair and wooden bench to enjoy sunsets over the bean field. There is an open grassy hay field surrounded by overgrown wooded trails, as well as a river (Salt Creek) that cuts through the very back corner of the property. While the river isn’t easy to access (walking down a hill, through thick woods without a direct path is required), guests who are willing to brave the journey to get to the river are welcome to bring their own fishing equipment. There is also a 100+ year old restored barn in the backyard. If you’d like us to set up an antique table/chairs and/or decor for a dinner, we’d be happy to do so for an extra charge. (This requires us to do a massive cleaning beforehand, as we have free range chickens—hence the extra charge if you would like to use it.)
1. This home is NOT baby-proofed. (We do not have outlet blockers, no furniture is strapped to walls, stairs do not have gates, there are no safety locks on cabinets, etc.) Upstairs windows have extra locks as precautions, but are low to the ground where curious kids could easily get out. Children must be accompanied by adults at all times, and guests are responsible for the safety of their children.
2. The stairs are VERY steep (the house was built in 1853!), and the ceilings are low in the stairway thresholds. Taller guests will need to be mindful of their head as they walk up and down stairs, as not to hit their head on the beams of the thresholds. Guests must climb outdoor steps to get into the house as well—Those who are not able bodied will NOT be able to easily navigate the home; although the house was fully updated in 2021, the age of the house does not render it handicap equipped. We only recommend booking this home if everyone in your group is able-bodied, as the steep stairs will be difficult for those who are not.
3. The oven is a retro style oven, meaning the outside oven door does get hot. Our kids have touched it while it’s “on” and have not been burned (it has not been hot enough to burn someone unless they were to press their hand on it for longer than a few seconds), but it is important to be mindful while cooking with little ones.
4. We always remind guests to check themselves for ticks after spending time outdoors. Our house is sprayed monthly (inside and out) for bugs, but given the surroundings and age of the home, you’re bound to see a spider or two while here. This is not a matter of not being clean—it’s simply a matter of farm life. :)
5. Our chickens have always been friendly with us, but as with any animal, interacting with them is done so at your own risk. We occasionally have a rooster, and they are known to occasionally be territorial/aggressive with little ones. (You are welcome to kick him if he’s aggressive toward you.) Otherwise, please be friendly and gentle. We are happy to introduce you to the flock and help you handle them should you like to hold them.
While we do rent other homes that are designated for guest use only, this farm is our personal home. We are only interested in renting it out about once a month (at most), and we are only interested in renting to the most respectful guests. Because of this, we do not have wiggle room on pricing, minimum stay requirements, or on the items below. While we welcome guests of all backgrounds, we will only be accepting booking requests from:
--Users who are "verified" and who already have multiple positive reviews from other hosts.
--Renters that are above the age of 25.
--Renters who are not bringing pets.
--A maximum of 8 guests per reservation. Extra guests are not allowed.
—We value our relationship with our neighbors, so events/gatherings/parties are not to be held by guests. In order to keep the house in excellent condition for ourselves and for future guests, we are firm on these rules. We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
--Guests who book will receive detailed check-in instructions between 9AM and 10AM (CST) on the morning of their scheduled arrival. All of this will be communicated through AirBnB messenger. We often will meet you at the farm to show you around as you check in.
--A manual with our favorite local attractions will be provided. Please let us know if you’d like this in advance. We have tons of recommendations and love to support the best local businesses.
--Please note that Valparaiso is on Central Standard Time (CST), the same as Chicago. Check-in is between 4 and 7 p.m.; check-out is at 10 a.m. (unless other arrangements have been made with us).
--Our cancellation policy is strict. That being said, if you do need to cancel your reservation and we are able to re-book your days with another guest, we will gladly refund you for the amount that we’re able to recoup by new guests. (Some platforms charge service fees that we’re not responsible for—which will be their discretion to refund you.)
Guests will have full access to the home, access to an exterior workout gym, and the surrounding 44 acres.
Rates & Availability
Cancellation Policy: One hundred percent (100.00%) of the total booking charges will be refunded if the cancellation is made more than 21 days prior to the arrival date of the reservation. Fifty percent (50.00%) of the total booking charges will be refunded if the cancellation is made more than 7 days prior to the arrival date of the reservation. For cancellations made within 7 days prior to the arrival date, no refund will be issued.
|Setting & View||
|Sports & Adventure||